Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chicken Stock

So I've been a huge fan of cooking chicken lately.  Chicken legs, chicken thighs and whole chickens have been awesome...and SO easy!  I have never made homemade chicken stock ever in my life, but that changed as of last week.  I made my first batch of chicken stock and it was a winner!  What I usually do is bake a whole chicken in the oven with some melted butter brushed on and then sprinkling it with different spices and stuffing it with lemon, carrots and garlic.  We eat only the legs that first night.  I take off the wings for the hubby's lunch for the next day and refrigerate the rest.  In the morning, I pick off the rest of the meat until I'm left with the carcass and refrigerate the meat for later use.  In the post below, I will note how I make the chicken stock.  Making it again today for another soup, which is beyond easy!  If I have any meat left, then I will be making a chicken salad.  One chicken = three meals!  If the soup turns out well, I will post it later on.

Chicken Stock Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 chicken carcass

4 carrots, broken in half

4 celery sticks, broken in half

1 onion, quartered

2 bay leaves

Garlic

1 Tbsp whole peppercorn

1 Tbsp salt

1 tsp yellow mustard seeds

A splash of vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar as that's what I had on hand)

8 cups water (or enough to cover the chicken)

Directions:

Throw everything into crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.  Strain.  Immediately use for soup or store in the refrigerator or freezer.

Picture is of the stock cooking.  The smell is heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment