Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Paleo/Gluten-Free

My husband and I both agreed about a month or so ago to get healthier and try the Paleo lifestyle again.  We had tried (half-heartedly) earlier last year but was a huge fail since not everyone was on board at the time and because I didn't have much recipes to work with.  So when we made the decision to try again, I immediately sought out friends who have been doing this for years for advice.  Many suggested a couple of cookbooks, which I immediately bought.  The two biggest books that they recommended was Eat Like a Dinosaur by The Paleo Parents.  It has so many great ideas for people who have young children and have found some keepers so far in that book.  The other one was Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo and she has a TON of recipes (huge book!).  Practical Paleo also has lists of foods to eat for whatever ails you, what to have in the pantry and a basic list of paleo-friendly foods and what to avoid.  I also bought Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso and it also has some good recipes, but not as many as the first two.  Of course, we have only been doing this not even a week yet, so I haven't been able to cook everything in all the books, but have cooked quite a bit in the last 5 days.

The gist of the Paleo diet is to go as naturally and whole with food as possible.  Nothing boxed.  Nothing artificial.  No gluten, dairy, legumes, processed foods.  So what can you eat?  Meat - preferably organic, grass-fed meats, but since that can be pricey, I have just been buying bulk meat from Costco.  Eggs - also preferably organic, cage-free, but again I just buy regular eggs in bulk.  Fruits, vegetables and nuts (peanuts are not a nut but a kind of legume, so beware).

I find that we are not 100% paleo, but more gluten-free than anything.  The basic reasons we decided to try again is because our daughter has had eczema from the time she was an infant and it has only gotten worse.  We've tried every cream/prescription and nothing seems to work.  She scratches while she sleeps and constantly has scabs from itching it raw.  I also have asthma that has just gotten worse over the years, along with other health issues and my husband also has been experiencing health issues.  Since most of our research suggested taking gluten out of the diet to see if anything changes, that was our first step.  However, I have some friends who have gone Paleo and have seen so many positive changes in regards to health and have read that most health issues can be helped by going Paleo.  Makes sense, seeing as most of the foods that are okay to eat are whole, un-messed with foods.  So, we've decided to give this a 3-4 month trial and if we see any improvements, then we will stick with it.

So far, I have been feeling so much better.  I have more energy and have already lost 3 pounds in the last 5 days.  I've been craving more healthy foods instead of junk and as a result just feel a little more healthier.

I highly suggest getting these books regardless, because there are so many great recipes and most are very yummy to reheat for lunch the next day.  I may try to post some of the recipes later on and will let everyone know how everything turns out in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment